Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Cooking Boston Butts

Last post 06-07-2023, 5:38 AM by donald. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-06-2023, 12:46 PM 544

Cooking Boston Butts

I am planing on cooking about 100 lbs worth of Boston Butt on my pig cooker, what temp and how long should I cook them for pulled pork?
  •  06-07-2023, 5:38 AM 545 in reply to 544

Re: Cooking Boston Butts

There are several different personal preferences for this one. In general, bring to room temp then you could cook anywhere from 225 to 300 (even 325). I typically start mine at ~250 for about an hour then increase to 275 and finish there.

As for the time, the old saying goes to cook to the temp, not time. I cook mine to ~195 then rest for at least half hour. It also finishes really well resting in a cooler. That being said for planning, the cook time at this temp is roughly ~6 to ~7 hours depending on the meat.

I know you mentioned cooking about 100lbs. In general for bone-in, I typically plan on a 50-55% loss (bone,skin,fat) so that should give you about ~45-50lb meat to pull/shred. That should give you about ~180 4oz servings, ~120 6oz. Again, just estimates.

I hope these guidelines help. Of course let us know if you have any other questions. Please take a pic and post your results when done!

Donald
View as RSS news feed in XML